I know that I am called to love and support John in sickness and in health.
I know that God can break into a hopeless situation and bring hope and healing.
I know that we are not to live in fear, but faith.
However, I have had to ask the question,
"What does the prayer of faith look like in this situation?"
Does offering a prayer of faith mean that I have no fear?
Does it mean that I am not aware of the seriousness of John's health situation?
How, Lord, am I to pray?
I asked our friend Fr. Mario Bergner these questions when he was here for a visit. He encouraged us from the book of Mark where the father of a demon-possessed boy says to Jesus, "If you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us." Jesus says, "If you are able!- All things can be done for the one who believes." Immediately the father of the child cried out, "I believe; help my unbelief!" Mario encouraged us to begin our prayers by confessing unbelief. Once the sin of unbelief is confessed, there is room for a prayer of faith to be given. I have found this to be true! When I come to prayer for John each night, I anoint him with oil. I often have no idea what to pray, but confessing unbelief and simply beginning these prayers makes a way for a prayer of faith to be given. Each night I am given a prayer for John that is not something of my own making. I often receive the prayer that God is praying for John. God's desire is for John to receive health, life and joy. We do not know exactly how the Lord will answer these prayers. What we do know is that we will follow Him.
I believe; help my unbelief!
Though He slay me, yet will I praise Him. (Job)
Isaiah 58: 11
The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.
in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.
Saturday, June 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment