Isaiah 58: 11

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.





Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Day at the Edward's Cancer Center






We have spent many, many hours at the Cancer Center in Naperville, Illinois. You have been such a faithful friend and sojourner with us. I thought you might like to see a few photos of the experience. I could not photograph everything, since I did not want to violate the privacy of anyone else there to receive treatment.






These are two of the recliners we often occupy during a day of treatment. Here you can also see John's father Bill reading a book.





John and I sit side-by-side and this is our view out the large windows.



Our nurse today, Derrek, has started the blood transfusion. I think is a little creepy that the bag says, "blood product." Is that terminology similar to what you see on bag of Velveeta? This is a "cheese product"? Hmmm.





John wheels his IV bags with him to the computer. He is doing some work for the library.





Right next to the computer is a little kitchenette. This treatment room is mostly used for CHEMO-therapy, but I call this area SUGAR-therapy. This little table is always filled with treats. I thought the nurses brought this stuff in, but they tell me that patients bring it. This baffles me. When I am packing up for the hospital, the last thing on my mind is, "Why don't I bake a pan of brownies!"



The Arts Program employs a number of professional musicians. We do not intersect with musicians every time, but today we did. This is wonderful. They take requests! This time Mary requested Canon in D. I felt like I was at a wedding.




As the sun moves through the sky, we begin to see the reflection of the IV bag in the window.






Mary juiced veggies and puts them in a thermal cup. Bill went to get lunch from Stir Crazy. You can see John's Bangkok noodles waiting for him after he drinks his juice.




After lunch, John goes back to the computer. There is a large puzzle table behind the computer. This man is starting a new puzzle, because John and Bill finished one last time we were here.





In the afternoon, we got a visit from a Therapy dog. Today I am being loved by Snuggles the pug.



And the sun goes down...




In John's words, "This is my post-prandial nap." A little Benadryl doesn't hurt, either.







This is the view from our recliners when the IV is removed. Time to go home! Charlotte and Josiah are at home waiting for Daddy to play the piano for their evening dance.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God that John plays the piano for dance and worship... I know God is rejoicing as he does.
Margie, your haircut is still fabulous.
Blessings,
Annie

Sally Miller said...

Margie,

Thank you for all of the ways you've shared your journey with so many of us. These pictures and your life speak of Grace, Wisdom, Faithfulness and Beauty!

You and John are a GIFT to the world!

Feeling blessed to walk with you,

Sal

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the small pictorial peek into your world! Prayers bubble up when I can see your faces and sometimes I even find myself touching the computer monitor, lifting your names to the Lord--a virtual laying on of hands? Strange, but I feel moved to do it. It's such a blessing, such a blessing when I feel so far away from you both.

Love,

Cheri

P.S. I agree with Annie that your haircut is FABULOUS!

Anonymous said...

Love the hair AND the glasses!

Praying and praying!

Thank you for sharing!

Beth

At A Hen's Pace said...

Margie--

I laughed out loud at your bafflement over the "sugar therapy" from patients. That would be the very last thing on my mind too--?!!!

You're always mentioning spending the day at the hospital--Thanks for giving us a glimpse of what that's like.

You're in our prayers...

Jeanne

martha said...

... and your hair and glasses are very flattering - so fresh and energetic!

Praying, Martha

Fr. Steve said...

Margie,
As others have said, thanks for giving us a peek into "a day in the life..." This visual really helps all of us in prayer I think. Still praying - still offering up the Body and the Blood with intention for all of you.

Grace and Peace,
Steve+

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for inviting us all along to the center with you! I feel like I can picture you all now, and for this visual girl, that's such a blessing!

So many explanation points!
Love you!
Taryn!

Adam said...

Hi Margie,

Indeed, the hospital is much more personable than I envisioned it. Of course, I'm not there every week, but it's nice to catch a glimpse, as all have said before me.

God bless. We're praying for you all!

Adam

Anonymous said...

I love the bright blue blanket John is wrapped in. I’m deeded it the “Cloak of Healing.”

love to you,
julie mac

Rachel Dawn Kornfield said...

Thanks so much Margie! Am praying for you and the kids, as well as John, during this difficult time. I have some sense of how hard it can be on the family!

Rachel Kornfield