Isaiah 58: 11

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.





Monday, August 18, 2008

Make Way for Ducklings

Tomorrow I am travelling with the kids to Boston. We were invited to visit our dear friends Mario, Nancy and their five children. We look forward to a few days of shared life, laughter and grief. We also hope to visit the Swan Boat and Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Oack, Pack and Quack. These are the ducklings that make a fabulous appearance in one of our favorite books, Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey. The Swan Boat also appears in The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. I had so much fun reading this book to Charlotte. As a "retired" brass player, I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to vocalize trumpeting for Louis the swan. I tried on a self-important, dramatic voice for the Old Cob and loved the book more than Charlotte did.



While I am looking forward to a trip to New England, I am a little nervous about flying by myself with the kids. If John were alive and I were choosing to take the kids on a trip by myself, I don't think I would be as worked up about it. But the fact that I really am alone with the kids makes me feel... lonely.


Airports are absolutely crammed with people yet empty of relationship. Everyone is dashing here and there, concerned about their own plans. In the airport I am reminded of what a lonely place the world can be. As I was gritting my teeth to face one more widow challenge, I felt the Lord calling me to pray. I have so many memories of John gathering us around to pray. His consistent Christ-centered worldview focused us on the most important things. Facing an anxiety-provoking day he would pray something like, "Lord we are rooted in You and your goodness. There is nowhere we can go on this earth that You are not there. Direct every moment and connection of our travel tomorrow. Provide for our needs and bring those across our path that will be able to help us or who are in need of the your love."





I held onto both kids tonight and prayed.
My irrevocable place...rooting...grounding in the Love that came before and will go on beyond me put my fears to rest.
I have no assurance of a perfect day to be sure, but abiding in Jesus' love I know that nothing will come across my path that did not first go through Him.

Jesus said, "I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord, Margie, for John's example of going to prayer.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how Jesus lives inside of me, physically, because I asked Him into my heart. Everywhere I am, Jesus is there as well. He is inside of my body, taking care of me, taking care of our baby. It's always the three of us. As a tangible-type person, I really love remembering the proximity of Jesus--that He's not just "here" or "close by," but INSIDE OF ME. None of us are closer to anyone than Jesus. May you know His nearness and direction in this time.

We will pray for you as you traverse the airports and await friendly faces on the other side (I hate airports, too, for the same reasons. I also hate the bad, expensive, unhealthy food, tho I do love the Cinnabons).

Let Kurt and I know if you need a ride from the airport after your trip (or a ride to the airport, for that matter). The only payment required is a Cinnabon.

Love,
Taryn

Anonymous said...

Dear Margie,

Prayers for you and the children that you will be overwhelmed with God's love, and that just the right people will cross your path to help or who are in need of your help.

Love,
Marilyn

martha said...

...and we will be praying with you. Enjoy your adventure!

Anonymous said...

Father in Heaven,

Please provide safe passage for Margie, Charlotte and Josiah to Boston just like the wonderful Irish policeman in Make Way for Ducklings provided save passage for that mother and her little ones.

Thanks keeping even the little birds under your care.

Unknown said...

Margie, what a wonderful legacy from John! Thank you for your steadfast commitment to following Christ and to letting your children see Him in you. May God grant you a peaceful, pleasant and refreshing trip. I continue to pray for you to know His comfort and joy and direction. Thank you so much for allowing us to share a little in this journey.

Warmly,
Dionne