Isaiah 58: 11

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.





Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Valley of Vision



As I went to grab my glasses this morning, I paused for a moment looking at my bedside table. The Valley of Vision. Next to my new devotional book sat my glasses and my tissues from the long, painful night.


John was not able to sleep much due to pain. I often hear him reciting the Lord's Prayer and the Jesus Prayer in the night. I have not been able to sleep next to John since August. His body is too tenderly pained for me to be close. Last night, his pain was so great, his ability to find a comfortable position impossible. He called out to me knowing that if my presence would not create new pain, that my presence might actually bring him comfort.


The words that flowed out of me, born of the Spirit, freshly bringing Jesus...

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quiet waters. In the presence of my enemies, You prepare a table for me. You annoint my head with oil. My cup overflows. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for Thou art with me. Your rod and your staff they comfort me. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life. And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever...


Lying gently near his frail frame, we both fell asleep for an hour before dawn.



Quarry me deep, dear Lord,

and then fill me to overflowing

with living water.


A small portion of a prayer from The Valley of Vision, A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions, The Banner of Truth Trust, edited by Arthur Bennett, 1975
Thank you Shirley and Dale

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Margie, we are praying for you and for John. Come, Holy Spirit, and bring your balm.
Taryn

"wife de me" said...

This is the most beautiful post I have ever read. What a remarkable testimony of Love. I am so inspired and encouraged as I hear your love for one another. There is a tenderness rarely found this side of heaven. I am amazed. May the Father comfort you both and continue to grant you Rest and Peace. With love and prayers, Tammy

Anonymous said...

Dearest Margie,

You are the surest source of human comfort for John at this time. And your love for him and for the LORD is a balm to his hurting body and a strength to his ever faithful spirit.

Yesterday, I was just reading the title poem from the Valley of Vision. These excerpts spoke to me about you two, "Thou has brought me to the valley of vision, where I live in the depths, but see thee in the heights... Let me learn by the way of paradox, that the way down is the way up, that to be low is to be high, that the broken heart is the healed heart ... that the valley is the place of vision. Lord in the daytime stars can be seen from the deepest wells, and the deeper the wells the brighter thy stars shine."

Oh my dear friends, how strong is the love we have for you in this time. Love that wants the comfort of Jesus to enfold you both. Love that prays for healing of body and soul. Love that aches with you as we watch from afar precious ones walking through a valley we may not enter. So we pray. We pray His presence, His love and we beg for His healing hand. In this moment the prayer of faith comes without doubt, "We know You Lord can heal John. And we ask this of You now. Wrap Your arms of love around Margie, John, Charlotte and Josiah."

In His Love,

Mario+

martha said...

...continuing prayers...

Deirdra Doan said...

Oh God be near and blessings of Peace and Life on you both.

I thought of you and John today as I have been singing this wonderful song that was written by a woman who came to a Angles Conferance at our Vineyard Church this past week end. May it bring the comfort it brings me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmES3gr2CdQ

Anonymous said...

Dear Margie and John,

We are praying -- for relief of pain, for ongoing strength for both of you, for encouragement, for peace.

With love,
Marilyn Henderson

Anonymous said...

We add our prayers to strengthen yours. We lift your prayers up, like the friends of Moses lifted up his arms when they grew weak in the battle against the Amalekites.

With love,
Laurie Horton