Isaiah 58: 11

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.





Monday, March 24, 2008

An Easter Miracle

Dr. Hantel's nurse called me this morning after seeing John. "John looks a lot better this morning," she said. "Its a miracle." She, tough-as-nails-Sue said, "ITS A MIRACLE!"


I couldn't believe it. You must keep in mind that she doesn't think John has been healed. And who knows if he has or hasn't, the point is he has recovered miraculously this weekend. When she walked into his room and he said, "Hello there Sue," she couldn't believe it. When she saw John on Friday morning she told me to take him home on Monday and tell him I would be OK without him.



According to Dr. Hantel, John has one more gauntlet to run. He has to show us that he can get up and move around enough to be able to come into the Cancer Center for outpatient treatment. If he can do that tomorrow, he will be discharged and free to come back three times a week for fluids. This is the protocol we were following before last week. Coming into the Cancer Center for treatment nullifies our eligibility for hospice. We will begin receiving palliative nursing care at home several times a week.


Now that John is 99% lucid, he is telling us stories of dreams he had while he was incoherent. He describes a terrible battle. He asked Dr. Hantel today if there is a link between Influenza and Insanity. Dr. Hantel said, "Insanity is not a medical term. What you experienced was delirium brought on by the infection."



Whatever you want to call it, it was awful. Thanks be to God for the restoration of John's mind.



Its a Miracle!
P.S. I posted two things yesterday. Scroll down to see the montage of Fawcett family life.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alleluia! Alleluia! and Hallelujah! We continue to pray as we give thanks to our gracious, risen Lord.

Holly

Anonymous said...

Margie, this is so exciting! My heart just JUMPED when I read your blog. Along with many other people, I prayed for an Easter miracle. Hope you got my note. Marilyn Brenner and I came to the hospital after the 3 PM Stations of the Cross on Saturday. We didn't want to intrude; I just wanted to be there and let you know I was praying. So we left a note for you at the nurse's station, and in it, I said, "I am praying for an Easter miracle!"

All love and joy from Seattle,
Debbie Pope!

Anonymous said...

Margie,
I sobbed and prayed and sobbed some more for you and John and the kids on Good Friday. My hope was low. Now I rejoice with you this Easter Week!! I continue to pray for you and John and your family with renewed hope and encouragement and am so thankful for John's miraculous upturn. Thanks be to God.

--Kim Johnson
(I've had some trouble getting this to post, so hopefully you won't end up with 3 variations of the same comment...)

At A Hen's Pace said...

Praise and thanks be to God!

~Jeanne

Rachel Dawn Kornfield said...

Praise the Lord!

Rachel

Sally Miller said...

Margie,

Thanks be to God for this new shoot of green life spring forth: And Eastertide gift!

And, praise the Lord that The Fawcetts are coming to help tend to the Fragile Beautiful Flower of John!

Love,

Sal

Fr. Steve said...

Praise God! I meant to leave this comment on your Good Friday post but alas life marches on.

I wanted to tell you about a profound experience I had on Good Friday praying for John. I hope it is of encouragement. During the Good Friday liturgy I took down the huge 7 foot tall rough hewn cross (a la Rez style) and processed it around the congregation while we sang out the Anthems extolling the glories of Christ's sacrifice (actually in retrospect I realize we were singing John's settings of said anthems). And as I finished this procession and laid the cross down on the floor in preparation for the people to come forward and pray and venerate the cross I myself knelt down to pray as we sang the Pange Lingua. Now normally this is my private little personal devotional moment before continuing to lead others. But this year the second I knelt down I wasn't thinking of myself at all. The Spirit led me into a profound time of intercession for John! And I don't know how else to describe what happened other than to say as I was kneeling by the cross, gripping it with both hands and praying in the Spirit there was what I can only think to describe as a sense of an exchange of energy. I felt as I prayed for John that something transferred from me to the cross, and then something transferred back from the cross to me (and as I have prayerfully reflected on it, I believe in the Spirit a transfer from the cross toward John). I don't know what else to make of it. Hold it as an image in your heart and pray into it!

You and John are loved - not just by your friends. You are profoundly loved by God.

Peace,
Steve+

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jesus!!!
We are greatly encouraged and continue to pray for John.
Blessings, Dore'

Anonymous said...

Dear John and Margie,

This has been a long weekend in battle, in prayer on your behalf, overnight Friday/Saturday, all day Saturday, including an Easter Vigil Saturday night... with beautiful music (Gounod's ''Gloria'' from Mass in C; Aichinger's ''Regina Coeli''; Palestrina's ''Sicut cervus''; Mendelssohn's ''Allegro assai vivace'' from Sonata No. 1; Somary's Psalm 31, Beethoven's Hymn of Joy, and other works), followed by a wonderful celebration of our Risen Lord's victory over death on Sunday! How WONDERFUL to hear of God's grace and love in empowering John to communicate again with full display of his wit and personality... I rejoice with you also that Bill and Mary are rejoining you... May the Lord our God fill your coming days with His Hope, so that His Peace may endure in your hearts.

Cristina
(New York City)

Anonymous said...

It is with tears that I thank and praise our mighty risen Savior and our all-loving God for their goodness and kindness to John in restoring his mind and his strength. I, like Margaret in an earlier posting, will continue to pray for his full healing, thanking God for it, while there is breath! both his and mine! I got up from time with the Lord to come down and see if there was news, and WHAT NEWS !!! Thank you for the wonderful pictures, too, Margie -- and give Bill and Mary my love. I am praying for YOU, as well.

love,
Christy Fonvielle

Adam said...

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." How true of this terrible battle. God is our Savior, Christ is our light. Praise Jesus for the power of Christ's resurrection in John! Amen.

Adam

John Walford said...

Margie: Please take a look here, at a new work dedicated to you and John: http://nowonlyconnect.blogspot.com/.
You remain ever in my prayers, With deep affection for you both, John Walford