Isaiah 58: 11

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.





Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In the Hospital

I took John to the hospital for the usual IV fluids this morning. The first nurse that saw him recognized immediately that something was not right. Within minutes we were surrounded by five nurses all working to find out what was wrong. Why had John gone down hill so quickly? What was causing the confusion? I stood there with uncontrollable tears running down my face as they asked me questions. Did I want him to go into the hospital? Did I want to move to home hospice care? My head was spinning.

After checking the level of oxygen in his blood and listening to the congestion in his lungs, a chest x-ray was ordered and he was admitted to the hospital. The x-ray showed some fluid in one of his lungs. The combination of a low oxygen and high calcium seem to be the reason for the sudden crash in cognition. Dr. Hantel thought John improved throughout the day, although he is still unable to speak coherently. "John is unpredictable," Dr. Hantel said. "He may yet pull out of this." Dr. Hantel expects to have a better idea in the morning about what we can expect.

My Dad is spending the night in the hospital with John. I came home to be with the kids. I am actually looking forward to sleeping through the night without worrying that John may wander around the house in confusion.

I am feel the stretch of choosing which members of my family need me most each day.
Do I leave John to be with the kids?
Do I leave the kids again to be with John?

If John were home we would be praying this as part of Compline together.

Be present, O merciful God, and protect us through the hours of this night, so that we who are wearied by the changes and chances of this life may rest in your eternal changelessness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Book of Common Prayer, p. 133

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear John and Margie,

We love you and are pleading on your behalf before the throne of our gracious God. Lord, have mercy.

Margie, you would likely also be praying with John: "Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep may we rest in peace."

May our Lord grant you peaceful, refreshing rest tonight; and the ability to rest in Christ as you answer his call tomorrow and after.

Holly for all of the Covingtons

Sally Miller said...

Dear Margie,

I found myself awake in the middle of the night, praying for you, John and the kids. The prayer - a kind of string of words - linked Eastertide hopes and promises with my hopes for all of you.

I could never recreate the prayer (born in the haze of sleeplessness). But, it began something like this: Lord of Life, Conqueror of Death, Friend of the Empty Tomb . . .

It continued with images of crying disciples, you crying at the hospital yesterday, Easter lilies, victories, sovereign surprises . . .

The prayer is still weaving its way around my heart where it feels as if I've been carrying you and yours lately. I will be praying this picture-rich prayer all day as I hope and wait with you, my friend!

With the Love of the Risen Lord,

Sal

Anonymous said...

Dear Margie--We're praying for you, John and the kids throughout this day. May you feel your Savior's hands as He washes your feet, calls you "friend," and assures you of His constant presence.

Nancy and Mario

Anonymous said...

Dear Margie,

We are praying. I'm learning to pray constantly, for you and John, Charlotte and Josiah. I pray with faith in God's goodness and mercy. I pray with joy that this is Holy Week, that we are walking the way of the cross, that there is healing in Good Friday, that after death (as you said Sunday night, the deaths of the cells in John's body) there is resurrection (may there be life after death for those cells). Hallelujah! And may there be life after death for you as well, as you take this week one hour at a time. Love you all.
Taryn

Anonymous said...

Dear Margie,
We continue in prayer and hope for you and for John--for the Lord to sustain his life. I too lay awake at night, lifting up John, and I learned from Mark this morning that he was awake praying for John at the same time.
I pray for the Lord to send many workers into his harvest--prayer workers who will see a harvest of miracles in John's body.
We love you.
Melissa Rivera

Anonymous said...

Dearest Margie: I am reminded so strongly this year that our Lord Jesus triumphed over death. When his mother and followers thought He was dead, he came to life in celebration--a reminder of how awesome and powerful our God is. I am praying for this hope for you, John and the kids. You are deeply loved.
Kate Zwiefelhofer

Anonymous said...

Margie,
I know it's been years since we have had time to chat--but you and John have always remained in my heart and prayers. Tonight at Epiphany we will remember you in our prayers and I will be praying special prayers for your dear children.

I remember many years ago before we both had children and you read the story of Jesus and the children. May His love enfold your little ones as He draws them close to his heart. May He surround you with His love and may he hold John in his tender care.

Much love,
Anna Goodwin Smith