John and I at the Cancer Center working on a jigsaw puzzle.
(On Saturday John said to the lady cutting his hair, "I hope you know Jesus and that you'll be there with us." She was a little taken back and said she had her daughter's graduation to attend.)
My big plan for the first day of "no treatment" was to drive into Chicago. It was a gorgeous day. John LOVES Chicago. We drove along the lake and then to Hyde Park where John went to University of Chicago. It was too chilly and windy for John to get out of the van, but he enjoyed the sites... when he was awake.
Driving on the Eisenhower. Its illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving, but taking photos???
While we were sitting at the puzzle table a lady came in with a McDonald's bag. John pointed to it and said, "I would like that for lunch." I said, "McDonalds? You've got to be kidding!" John said, "No, that is what sounds good to me." "Woo-hoo!," I said. "This is my lucky day!" John hasn't eaten at McDonalds with me in YEARS! He can't stand it! I was thrilled that we could tuck a burger and fries into the van and head out to the city.
Powell's, John's favorite bookstore. He spent HOURS here buying books for the library.
When we arrived home from Chicago, Josiah had discovered a new toy. I pulled this out of the garage in case it might be useful in the days ahead. What would you do with an UN-USED bedside commode if you were two years old?
We invited friends to come worship and pray on Monday evening. We were all blessed by the presence of the Lord. Each of us were delighted that John chose to pour out his energy on the piano. He played for quite a while. It was beautiful.
John has expressed his concerns about what will happen to me and the children when he dies. He told me that the Lord said, thy Shepherd will provide thy need. He knew that included us. As he went to bed he asked everyone there to pray for me. They prayed for me and assured John they would support me for many years.
After the worship we had a precious time of prayer. Our desire was to pray as Jesus would pray for John. There were prayers for healing, prayers for relief from pain, prayers for freedom from fear, prayer for the freedom to go if the Lord calls.
Each night John goes to bed saying, "Father, into Your hands I commend my Spirit."
My Shepherd Will Supply My Need
Text: Isaac Watts, 1719
http://www.lycoming.edu/choir/mp3s/chamber/quotations/myshepherd.html
11 comments:
I'm so glad that John is taking time to enjoy life and enjoy HIS LIFE in so many ways before he most likely leaves this one to enter into that mystery of life with Christ on the other side of the veil. It blesses me to see John enjoying the simple pleasures of a jigsaw puzzle of the Chicago skyline, a hamburger and fries from McDonald's, the beauty of the Downtown Chicago and the Lake. I'm so glad Margie is able to enjoy this life of John's and to have such a meaningful time to savor it with him--to take him to U. of C. campus and his favorite downtown bookstore, to reminisce and celebrate his life and joys. John, your life has been full and a blessing to so many! I'll never forget our time doing the Chicago Lake Boulevard Bike Tour together, where we circled this city you love with hundreds of other bikers. You had so much to say about so many sights and it was a joy to bike through it and savor the many wonderful things about the city together on the 40-plus mile bike tour. It's been a pleasure serving with you on the worship team at Rez and with PCM, and at RL. Your vision and ability to bring together the most contemporary of worship songs with the timeless and favorite hymns of the past (and some obscure ones to boot!) has shaped my vision and scope of worship (and spoiled me for just about anything else since!) I love you, John and thank God for the blessing and uniqueness of your life. I'm so glad our lives intersected, and know God has used you to shape and influence mine for all that He has intended for mine to be. As I watch you bravely walk out your most-likely final days with such courage, stamina, honesty and Faith in Our Lord, I am blessed again, although with such bittersweet overtones! John, know my love and the love of all the brothers and sisters in Christ whom you have touched, as well as the love of All the Saints who have gone before you and are welcoming you with cheers and joy! Know also the Love of Our Dear Heavenly Father who says, "Well done, though good and faithful servant, enter into your rest!"
With Greatest Love and Prayers,
Mark McIntyre
Margie,
Bryan and I felt blessed to be with you and John and all of your friends last night. Thank you so much for your spirit of welcome and inclusion. You are the epitome of a hostess in all seasons!
John's leading of worship last night ministered ineffably to Bryan and me!!!!! On the way home I was saying that I don't think I've ever heard anyone lead worship with the spirit-led sensitivity, responsiveness, beauty, musicality and artful creativity that John possesses. He has a way of knowing just when to add a tag, just when to turn-around, repeat a refrain. The notes his fingers choose perfectly fill-in the harmonies: leading, helping, blessing, lifting. His entire heart, body, mind are engaged in the offering!
We will never forget Monday night! Thank you!
Blessings on all of you,
Sal
Margie, what can I say? I´m thrilled that you are able to share these special times, and I´m blessed by your faith demonstrated in praise to our wonderful God. And my heart breaks for you all as you go through this hard valley. I keep praying for you and John and Charlotte and Josiah. May God grant you peace, joy, comfort, and all the provision He has promised. Thank you for letting us share in this journey.
Warmly,
Dionne Medina
Margie, We are lifting your family up to the Lord here in Bolivia. Thanks for sharing the photos, we miss Chicago and Mc Donald's a lot so it's great to hear about you experiencing those things with joy!
And I loved the "get-up" Charlotte wore to her kindergarten orientation. I have a feeling Avery will pick something similar next year! We are seriously considering moving back to Chicago after this next school year, so maybe our girls will get to play dress up together.
Thank you for having the courage to share your daily life on your blog. I have been thinking back to when I was in small group with you and you and John were just getting together, and all the excitement and frustration during that process!
We send our love and pray for the grace and peace of Christ to continue to be real to you hour by hour.
Anne for The Fishers
Your faith shines Jesus.
Thank-you for your radiant, transparent testimony...
A privilege to join with Jesus who ever lives to perfectly intercede for us...
I send love...
Ann
Wow -- "I hope you know Jesus so you'll be there with us." I'll bet that lady can't get those words out of her head.
I can't get over the incredible impact John's life and your whole family's response to his cancer are having on so many people, near and far. I read your e-mails with tears in my eyes and a heaviness in my heart, and yet I am lifted to the Heavens. Wow. You guys are walking the faith like I've never seen before. You're helping the rest of us who limp and drag along walk closer to Jesus and see His power firsthand. We marvel at the strength He has given both you and John, Margie. We pray for you both, your children, your strength, your stamina. We pray that Jesus is making His presence known in miraculous, tangible ways -- in the middle of the night, in the day, every moment.
We love you,
Michelle Knott
Thank you, Margie, for the privilege of worshiping with you Monday night. As the evening passed the sense of heavenly peace--even joy and humor--in the room seemed to grow and was deeply comforting. John's spirit was so beautiful. I have been reviewing your old blog posts tonight, many of which I had not read because when you wrote them internet access was not convenient for me. They are replenishing me somehow as I continue in prayer for you and yours. May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Melissa Rivera
Everytime I read your blog I am awestruck with the Story of God. Our Shepherd became a Lamb. Though the path is rugged, he ask us to put down our staff, and be like him, fully surrendering to His Shepherding voice, calling, assuring, loving us deeply. Then reading Scripture tonight, "Then He led out His people like sheep, and guided them in the wilderness like a flock. He led them to safety, so that they were not afraid;...And He brought them to His holy hill, to the mountain that his right hand had won. He drove out the nations before them; He apportioned them for a possession...Psalm 78:52-55 Praying fervently, Rachel Newsom
As always, Margie, thank you for opening up your lives to us. Your story is a blessing to all who read.
I was thinking the other day about how long I've known John. I worked alongside him at Buswell while I was a student. And then, I worked for him during the summer of 1991, cataloging the library of Joe McClatchey, donated to Buswell following his death -- an amazing project that I enjoyed immensely, all the more because John's appreciation for Dr. McClatchey's books was similar to mine. Long before blogging existed, Dr. McClatchey had journalled the path of his illness inside the covers of the books he was reading at the time. What a privilege it was to capture a glimpse into Father McClatchey's journey. And what a privilege to be allowed to glimpse into your journey, Margie, and John's, as you continue to seek God's will.
And then I was thinking about when Hal met John. Did you know that Hal was a student on the committee that hired John? I distinctly recall Hal telling me about John (long before I eventually met him) after one particular interview. Hal was so impressed with the brilliant young man the College hired as their Music Librarian. And what a gift he has been to the entire Wheaton community for all these years.
May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you.
jennifer
Margie,
Would you be willing to take a trip to Redding California and spend some time at Bethel Church there? Their pastor, Bill Johnson, has been calling the churches from Redding to contend spiritually for victory over cancer and cancer rates have decreased 59% in their town since they started praying and MANY people who have had no hope from the medical community have been healed there.
Morningstar has a conference available in MP3 format and Bill Johnson's teaching is SO POWERFUL!
http://www.morningstarministries.org/Shop/Sections/Items/Item.aspx?item_id=1000010709
I will continue to pray for John's healing.
Hi Margie, John, Children-
Thank you for your faithfulness, your joy in the midst of sorrow.
John, as you have moved onward, I continue to see Jesus Christ inside you. Not just in you, but through you. I see a strong, beautiful creation of our Lord, totally surrendered unto his master. Thanks so much for everything; the stories shared in RL, the sermons you preached, and your insights into the Christian faith. I've been blessed many times simply praying over you. I pray Christ ever invigorate you with his strong, masculine presence. Praise be to God. Amen.
Post a Comment