Our family at Pentecost last year. We had recently received the news about disease progression.
Our family on Pentecost this year... today. John in pain, my face flushed from tears, the kids looking a bit lost.
When John heard that today was Pentecost Sunday he was thrilled. It gave him something to live for. He lives for the gathering of the saints for the Eucharist each week. He has missed church three times in 3.5 years because of his illness. Once he was recovering from brain surgery, once he was in the hospital with pneumonia, and for the other he asked the Lord's forgiveness.
Whenever John feels afraid about the progression of this disease he talks about what the Lord Jesus has been saying to him. "There is to be no fear in going to be with the Lord. When fears and anxieties arise they are the work of the Enemy. They confuse the Truth."
The stresses we are facing make us vulnerable to marital strife. We misunderstand each other's intentions and become easily hurt. Why is it so easy to make my closest ally my enemy? John takes my hand and begins to pray. We confess our fears, our pride, self-centeredness, whatever. We are one. We are in this together.
As John faces the possibility of losing his ability to make decisions or communicate, he is facing the fear of really trusting me. He asks the Lord for his continued blessing of our marriage and he gives thanks for my partnership. Tensions lift and we are united in heart again. Our temptation in this difficulty can be to isolate from one another. The Lord has given us this marriage and we are to work to stay connected. Staying connected can be harder for me than becoming indignant.
And finally, because it is Mother's Day, I will share a mothering image as well. I do not claim to fully understand it, I will simply say that it has ministered tremendous comfort to John in times of intense physical pain. He has awakened several times with the Mother of our Lord on his mind.
When Jesus was suffering the crucifixion, Mary was there. She
comforted him in his pain. She cared for him in his suffering.
She touched his body with love and care. She was with him.
(I'm sure if John had the verbal ability and mental acuity to do so, he would wax on about how the church, being the Bride of Christ, is to bring comfort to a suffering world, too. But I will leave that to him.)
Neither of us know specifically how to obey the Lord in all of this. There is no way to make a plan for the week. We make plans day to day. What seems to be the way forward one day may not be the next. As we asked the Lord for guidance tonight and confessed our fears, we were reminded that there is a way. We don't have to find it! We have it! Jesus said,
"I AM the WAY."
The way is a Person. Our part is to abide, to remain, to continue in His love.
Please pray that we will have the courage and quietness of heart to remain in Christ's love. I know He will be the Way for us.
7 comments:
Dearest Margie,
As I read your post, prayed, and cried this morning; the Lord dropped some of Jesus' words into my mind. I grabbed my bible. As I read the Lord's words, I realized that you and John have been living out these words with your lives:
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit -- fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other. John 15:2-17
You and John are love each other in this way . . . so beautifully. And the fruit of that is multiplying day by day! Thank you for sharing in love, friendship and faith with me.
I love you both,
Sal
As always Margie, thank you so much for honesty and openness in this time. It continues to remind to pray for you and instructs me in what specifically oyu need prayer for.
Margie,
Your words amaze me. Your honesty and faith and openness to hearing the Lord are so inspiring. And John -- I didn't realize he only missed church 3 times. Unbelievable. That's so convicting. These days are uncharted, but you're right -- you DO know the WAY, and HE IS AWESOME. You are too, my sweet friend. I pray for you all the time. Wish I were there to cook something up in your kitchen for you guys.
Love you much,
Michelle
Margie,
I am reminded of giving birth and the long awaited labor, you begin to think will never come. I remember packing the footies for cold feet, lollipops to hold off the thirst, tennis balls for the lower back. lip balm, focus picture... When transition hit I remember telling my husband he could throw those tennis balls out on Peachtree street...ice chips? I was barely hanging on and yet conversation around me was too normal. I am reminded too of the sr. yrs. when our 5 kids one after another got ready to take flight. I was comforted one night by my sister saying, 'You know your kids have to almost not like you anymore to have the courage to leave.' Unlike death though the kids come back and the transition is a blur all the good times remain.
I'm saying all this because I am praying for you both. You have loved so well through this and you still are sweet at the core. But transitions are aggravating, irritating and as John says they blur the Truth.
We are with you , as a BODY , and love you .
Kathy Russell
I found your link through Facebook and I have been keeping you and John and your little ones in prayer.
It amazes me how, even in this, you bring people closer to God.
Know today that God loves you both and there are so many who hold you up to Him.
Including me.
In Him,
Susan Sutherland
I was thinking and praying for you guys this evening in the car. I was also struck by the idea that dying in the midst of worship would be how John would choose to go.
You continue to be on my heart and mind, in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for keeping us posted.
Dearest Margie,
Everyone here in São Paulo continues to hold John, you and the kids up to Our Lord Jesus in prayer. I can feel your hurt, pain and suffering too. Even in the small print it felt like hearing your faint voice crying out to God for an answer...for relief.
I am reading the book of Mark and noticed how Jesus asked "what do you want me to do?" Oh Lord Jesus..just say the word and your servant shall be healed.
with love
um beijo
Sandra Fatio
São Paulo, Brazil
Post a Comment