My health food crazy husband has become a Dilly Bar fanatic. What is a Dilly Bar, you may ask? It is a Dairy Queen treat... artificially flavored vanilla ice cream on a stick dipped in a chocolate flavored shell. Yesterday John ate three Dilly Bars. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if he eats Dilly Bars. I'm thrilled he's eating anything. Its just totally out of character.
This is what I found in the frig on Monday morning. A Dilly Bar with a post-it note that said, "John's for .... (something illegible followed by a smiley face)." Not only is he eating Dilly Bars, he is securing them for future consumption. He sent our friend Kyler on an outing to get two boxes of Dilly Bars. He said, "Kyler can get us a few boxes of Dilly Bars and then he can have one for all he's done for us."
Wednesday John ate a Dilly Bar for breakfast at 6am with a bowl of fruit. Perhaps there is some healing balm within the Dilly Bar that has yet to be discovered by the FDA.
Maybe it is the Dilly Bar that has prolonged his life beyond what the doctor thought possible. I do know that Dilly Bars have brought him moments of pure delight. In the midst of days filled with physical pain, a simple pleasure is a blessing.
There are so many things I would like to share, but finding a moment to write is becoming more difficult. John's sense of well-being is intimately related to a secure connection with me. While I have friends coming to be with John, it is often only my presence that will help him resolve a confusion or question.
Our evenings, nights and early mornings are peppered with long, confused conversations about medications, seizures and death. The hospice nurse told me today that this kind of nighttime rumination and activity is very common. We are working on finding the right medication to help with this, but she suggested we have friends spend the night a few times a week so that I can sleep. My ability to manage stress and stay healthy are running thin as the sleep is running low.
Tonight is the first night we have a friend spending the night in the bedroom with John so I must take advantage of it and get to bed upstairs.
10 comments:
Yes! Thank God for simple pleasures! And the way John plans for pleasure in the midst of such pain is a wonderful reminder of how to live a faith-filled life! So Cool!
I think the note reads:
John's for Margie [smiley face]
david
Wow! That's so wonderful! John is really a living, breathing miracle! You, John, and your family will always be in my prayers.
We will hope that the amazing lack of calcium in Dilly Bars is dragging John's calcium with them. Blessings and peace, Annie
to the tune of amazing grace..(sorry :o)
ice cream and fruit
how great you are
it is just such a treat
I write my name on
every bar
A Dilly I will always
be!!
ice cream and fruit...the breakfast of God's champion.
(Oh I hope I made someone smile)
God Bless you all
um beijo
Sandra Fatio
Brazil
Hi Margie,
Thanks for so openly sharing this season of your life right now. I think and pray for you and your family often. I am an ELL teacher and my students are seminarians and nuns at a Catholic seminary up north. I shared your story with them. They wanted me to let you know that you are in their prayers as well. Thank you for the ministry of this blogspot. Blessings, Kimber
Hey Margie and John,
You know that you are both deep in my heart and I join you in prayer to our Awesome God!!!
I am glad that you have finally come to your senses John and you are eating delicious Dilly Bars!!! I hope that you have some left when I buzz by to visit you when I go to the States in June.
Please remember that the Lord has a grip on you and is holding you close to His heart.
Tchau!!
Much love,
Jane
Margie -- we heard the news of John's passing from Jason. Praise the Lord that he is now with his Savior. We will be praying for your whole family in the tough times ahead.
Crying with you...and praising Him with you, dearest Margie.
What a BEAUTIFUL testimony your beloved and you gave throughout this last stretch of the road!!!!!
May the God of all COMFORT perfectly comfort your heart,
even as He did John's in such a miraculous day-by-day victory, complete with Dilly Bar joy!
Thank You, Lord, for promising to carry Margie, Mary & Bill, and all the family through this dark valley, shining your dear Self into the darkest corners
of their hearts.
Thank You they are looking to Jesus! And oh,
Thank You that You are oh so FAITHFUL!!!
With our ongoing prayers & love,
Dick & Alma
Post a Comment