Isaiah 58: 11

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.





Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Now is your time of grief

John's been gone five weeks today.


I have had the privilege of receiving prayer throughout this last year from two wonderful, godly women. Both women have experienced hardship with their husbands' health. Both of their husbands are living, but one has been unable to walk in strength for many years, the other man nearly died of a blood cancer five years ago. These women are full of faith, joy and hope. Every time they invite me to receive prayer, I come away refreshed and hopeful, waiting to see what God will do. When I saw these two women making their way to me at the Wake, their presence assuranced me that the Lord would carry me through and they would be part of the journey.



When I arrived for our luncheon of prayer last Friday Barb said, "There is one thing I want to say to you. It is from the life of Job. 'The LORD blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first (Job 42: 12).' What you have been through has broken your heart and upturned your life. None of us can see the blessing now, but the Lord is not finished with your life. There is blessing and good to come." We spent the rest of the gathering talking about how terrible John's death was, weeping and praying.


The word of hope for the future struck me. In a way it shocked me. It had never crossed my mind to think of my life in a before and after kind of way. I had never thought about the blessings or lack of blessings in my future. I guess I haven't really thought about the future. I have been riveted to the present.



I have been reading several books about death, grieving, widows and the like. I have been encouraged by the stories of other women working through this kind of grief. After reading, I put the book down and think, "I'm glad to read this, but I still have to go through it myself."



It reminds me of all the reading I did about childbirth when I was pregnant. I couldn't get enough of fetal development, good nutrition, breathing techniques and what to pack for the hospital. All of these things meant that I was on track for a wonderful blessing... a baby. These were delightful moments of reading tucked in my warm bed. I would show each photo of a developing fetus to John and coo, "That's what our baby looks like now, at 14 weeks and 2 days." Looking forward to the birth was half of the fun... no wait, looking forward to it was basically ALL of the fun about childbirth. The point is this, even though I had read all about childbirth, I still had to do it. I still had to go through the pain. No one else's account of their delivery would take away a moment of my own.



This was about the time they told me I couldn't have pain medication.



One thing that did help in childbirth was having John there. When he put his face close to mine I would say, "You have no idea." Its true. He had no idea, but he was there and that helped. This is precisely the difficulty I face now. I am facing an all-consuming pain and John is not here.


He is not here to talk to about my thoughts and feelings.

He is not here to debrief the funeral and all the friends that were there, the beautiful music, the Spirit-filled readings, etc.

He is not here to share the burden of the children's grief.

He is not here to sit with me and read through every card and remember every person that has shown us love.



Because our lives and hearts were knit together, there is no part of my life untouched by the loss of my husband.


So, can I look forward to the next part of my life being blessed? I have no doubt that God is good and that He will redeem all things. As I read those books on childbirth, I knew that eventually I would be holding a bundle of life.

But at this moment I am facing tremendous pain with no relief in sight.




Josiah born Sept 16, 2005 at 10 lb 13 oz


Keep breathing deeply, Margie. Let the pain roll over you. Don't resist it or run away from it. The only way out is through. Come Lord Jesus, come.



I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.


John 16: 20-22

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you, dear friend. I pray that the time with your two prayer partners would be fruitful and full of wisdom, as they already are.
Come, Jesus, come.
Taryn

kurtbullis said...

Margie,

We love you so much. Thank you for your post. I cry. I miss John. I hurt to see you hurt.

The truth you share ministers to me. Thank you.

Kurt

At A Hen's Pace said...

Margie--

The tears are flowing...

What a beautiful metaphor. And what a hopeful one.

Praying for you in your time of grief, dear friend--

~Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Margie,
Thank you for sharing this; it was a great encouragement to me today. God is your refuge and strength and this truth is so evident in your life. May he continue to raise you up with His strong hand.
With love and prayers for healing in this time of grief,
Emily Barton

Anonymous said...

I love you, Margie.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Oh Margie, I am weeping with you. I am so sorry you are consumed with pain and feeling so alone. I love you. I'm praying for you. Thank God for Barb (and people like her) that have words of truth for you in a time like this. . .

Love to you dear friend,

Cheri

Janna said...

Margie - thank you for posting this. Hopefully, there will be similarity in childbirth here - you said to John, "You have no idea what I'm going through," but just having his presence was comforting. Now, many of us have no idea what it is like to grieve like you are, but hopefully through your family and friends here with you now, you can find some comfort. Please let us know how we can help. We're still praying.

Unknown said...

Dear Margie,

My heart aches for you as I read your posts. I can only begin to imagine your pain, and not to be able to share it and receive comfort from the presence of your best friend. I pray that you will feel God´s comfort in a new and special way these days, and that you will be able to comfort your children as well.

In His love,
Dionne

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you today-- that the Spirit who speaks for us in our groaning (even in labor, even in grief) would be tangible to you today.
Blessings,
Annie

martha said...

Thank you God! Thank you for John, and Margie, and all you've taught us through their lives. Thank you for praying friends and the truth they speak into our lives. Please strengthen Margie and the kids. Let us show them your tenderness and love. Hasten the day when they begin to experience the blessing and joy of the "after". Amen.

Anonymous said...

Margie,
About a year after my divorce I was sitting at my dining room table and thought of my husband. The man I love for over 20 years. I was amazed at the pain I still felt almost 2 years after he had left. A feeling of thankfulness overcame me. I was thankful that I could still feel. That God had brought me through the trial, was leading me through the trial, and He was keeping my emotional health whole. I have learned to embrace the pain, for it is the promise in my heart that some day I will again feel the happiness and joys that come from a pure Godly love. Blocking emotions means blocking all emotions...good and bad. Your blog reaffirmed that feeling for me. Thank you.
Jeni Cole

Cubanita said...

Margie I will pray every day for God's blessings on you and your home. I pray that God would cover your heart with a healing balm. We miss John. We love you tremendously and think of Charlotte and Josiah every day. Thank you for continuing to write, for keeping us all a part of your life. We love you.

Elsie

Linds said...

Margie, I am here from Jeanne's place.

I have walked this path too. Am still walking it today. On Monday it will be 2 years since my husband died. Grief is a long process, and for me, it is only really just beginning. Years are just months, and months just days. Days just hours.

But I simply have to share how much God has been right there at my side throughout this time. He is still there. He carries me more often than I thought He could. I go to sleep with words to Him on my lips, and wake, knowing that He has plans for me too. He stops me in my tracks when I let the panic of trying to keep a roof over my head, and my family happy, lead me into making the wrong choices for work. He has never let me down. Not once.

He will do just the same for you. We are His children and He loves us beyond understanding.

Blessings to you and your family. I will be praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Our tears for you cannot match His. But they are real. And we love you.

Randy & Kay

Anonymous said...

The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing, and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.

Henri Nouwen (1932-1996)
Cleric and writer

Dearest Margie,
We all care, in our silence, in our prayers, in our tears, we are here...for you our friend.
um beijo
Sandra Fatio
Brazil

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Startling beautiful post in the midst of heart sadness.

So it is in all things, the beauty mixed with the pain, the hope with the heart ache.

You are living out gospel faith, meeting Him in real ways.

We're here. We have no idea. But God and you will deliver good things, great blessings... I pray for you today.
Cry with you.
Send all my love...

All's grace.
Ann

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you at 6 weeks today.
Annie

Anonymous said...

Oh, Margie,
The pain is so awful, and we hurt along with you, we hurt for you. Although we cannot understand, your words help to bring us closer. Thank you for letting us in on your heart. I will pray that God is your constant, tangible companion on this road, and that He carries you when you're weary. May He bind up your pain and be your balm of Gilead.
I love you,
Michelle