Isaiah 58: 11

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.





Monday, June 23, 2008

Continuing the Vine


Hello, dear friends.

It seems a lifetime has past since I jotted you a note.

It has been exactly four weeks since John died. This month required more of me than I had to give. I have longed for the opportunity to write, but The Fruitful Vine had to take a break.

I have received numerous requests to continue this blog. I will continue to write. I do not know how often I will write or what will come up, but I will continue to write.

I will write about the last few days and moments I had with John.
I will write about the precious moments of worship at the funeral.
I will post photos from the funeral and Memorial Service.
I will post audio and video clips as I can get them digitized.
I will write about grief.
I will write about watching my children grieve.
I will post photos of our family and share moments of summer splashing and bird watching.

I can't imagine anyone but my own Mother wanting to read these musings, but I invite you to join me if you please.

30 comments:

Gabi said...

Welcome back, Margie. I have been checking, and checking, and checking... it is so good to hear your voice again. Please, share what, and how, and when, ever you're able. It helps to know what your needs are, how we can pray for you and the children, specifically.

Praying now for your peace, and comfort, and joy.

God bless you,

Gabi

Smith said...

Margie, thank you so much for opening your heart to us, even as it is ravaged by grief. We miss John so much, and we mourn with you and wish we could ease your pain and your children's pain. Since we can't, we keep crying out to our Father, Who is the only One who can heal each of you. Let me know if I can help with any technical stuff. Love you! ~Bonita

At A Hen's Pace said...

Margie--

It must be the God-given desire to bear one another's burdens that keeps us coming back--and love for you, and John, and the children. I am so glad you're "back"--at whatever pace you can handle!

I can't wait to read more--your writing blesses me so much.

With much love, you remain in all our prayers--

Jeanne

Amy said...

Yes, please write, when you are able. I've missed you this past month. And, please, feel free to grieve in whatever way you want and need.

Many, many people are holding you in our hearts and in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Margie

More people than you can know have been checking to see if you've written anything while not wanting to put pressure on you to write. I was heartened to see your post this morning.

We, like so many around the world, continue to pray for you and Charlotte and Josiah.

Amy Boucher Pye, London

Beth said...

Margie, there are many people who have been blessed by your blog... not only to be praying for you, but God is using you powerfully to call others to Him. Keep sharing your process. Your honesty and faith point us to Him. -Beth T

Anonymous said...

I've been checkin', too!

Glad you're back.

Love you, friend,

Sal

Susanna said...

dearest margie,
i look forward to your musings. this blog has been such a blessing and a way for me to stay connected with what is going on in your life and the lives of my cousins (once-removed :)). like gabi, i have been checking frequently. i wasn't surprised that it took a while for you to come back here--it's understandable. but it is so good to see you here again.
i love you, charlotte, and josiah and will keep you in my prayers.
love,
susanna

Anonymous said...

So glad you're willing to share this valley of grief with us, Margie. You are so loved. We are so sad with you. . .

Cheri

A. Bobbi said...

Dearest Margie, Just want you know that we love you to know that you and Charlotte and Josiah are in our prayers many times a day. I have thought so many times that the arms and hands that welcomed your precious John into the Father's presence are the same arms and hands that hold your fragile and hurting hearts. May this truth be ever present with you today. We love you all so much, A. Bobbi for all

Anonymous said...

Dearest Margie,

So good to hear your sweet voice again...it's like a balm.

love,
julie mac

Anonymous said...

Dear Margie,
As so many others, I have checked daily and in checking, prayed for you and the children. One of the ladies in my church who lost her husband to ALS a couple of weeks before John went Home prays for you also. As you are able please do share. Although we have never met, you have become dear to my heart through your blog. I continue to pray daily for you and the children.
Much love,
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you here, Margie. I, too, have been checking. Your voice is a gift from God, and although I'm sure it blesses your mother, it also blesses so many others.

We are all glad to hear from you. And we want to know best how to pray for you and for your children.

Many *hugs*

Susan Sutherland

Unknown said...

Dear Margie, I can only imagine how difficult this month has been, and I completely respect the fact that you may not be able to blog on a regular basis, but I thank you for continuing to share your heart and allow us to travel with you in prayer. I pray that you will be surrounded by the family of God with tangible evidence of His love. And comfort for you and your children. And while I´m sure your musings will be of great interest to your mother, they are also of great interest and encouragement to many of us. Thank you again.

In Christ,
Dionne Medina

Beth said...

Margie,
It blesses me so much that you are so open about your feelings about everything. Please keep writing. It helps me to process also. Thank you.
BethJ

Beth said...

Margie,
It blesses me so much that you are so open about your feelings about everything. Please keep writing. It helps me to process also. Thank you.
BethJ

Debbie Pope said...

Dear Margie:

Like so many people, I, too, have been checking your blog daily since John died, understanding that you could not write immediately, just hoping soon to find you "back." Your blogs are beautiful and powerful and true -- they remind me of Jesus, each and every time I read them. Thank you for sharing your life with us. I am so glad you have decided to start writing again. I hold you and Charlotte and Josiah in my heart of hearts. Blessings, Debbie Pope

Evan said...

Margie,

So good to hear from you. Tricia and I have been praying for you, Charlotte, and Josiah.

Evan Kuehn

Anonymous said...

I checked the fruitful vine site many times over the past month and each time the silence since your last posting drove home deeper and deeper the reality and the finality of John's death. I know He lives on with the Lord but from this side he's gone and life misses his presence.
Grace for your grief,
Ron Hobelman
Columbus, Ohio

Anonymous said...

Margie,

I, too, have been checking .. and checking .. and checking ~ and ~ praying... and praying... and praying. I am thankful to hear your voice again, and will be grateful to hear you share these things as you are able. You have NO IDEA how great an influence and impact you have had on all of us who have walked with you and John and your family in this, even from a distance ~~ and the journey goes on. We are with you in faith and in love, Margie, asking the Father daily for His grace and provision and healing for each of you, and praising and thanking Him for His faithfulness to do FAR MORE than we can think or ask or imagine, or even pray for you.

With much love,
Christy Fonvielle

martha said...

Welcome back, dear Margie. We miss him too.

Bonnie McMaken said...

I'm glad you're back. :) This blog has been such a rich blessing to me.

Anonymous said...

Margie, I hope that as you look at all these previous responses to your continued writing on this blog, that you realize its value is not solely for those who desire to follow and pray more personally for your journey and grief (though that is an extremely poignant reason!), BUT ALSO BECAUSE YOUR WRITING IS TRULY INSIGHTFUL, CREATIVE, POETIC, AND FULL OF PERSONAL DEPTH AND PROFOUND SPIRITUAL MEANING!!! Please realize that part of the Phoenix rising from the ashes of John's last year with us is the beautiful and gifted writer's voice you have been showing in your blog. In the future, I believe that WHATEVER IS ON YOUR HEART TO WRITE ABOUT, EVEN BEYOND JOHN'S LIFE AND THE LIFE OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, WILL BE OF GREAT VALUE AND WORTH TO MANY. Obviously you are also in the midst of great change personally, and that is much more on your heart and mind right now. Even as you come to the blog for own need to communicate your heart to us, know we receive so much more than just personal musings only a mother would cherish, but rather, great pearls of beautifully crafted power that touch us both because we know and love you, and because your heart and life of which you write is so touching and powerful. Bless you, Dear One, and know we all love you and your family and hold you in our hearts and prayers.

Love,
Mark McIntyre

Anonymous said...

Dear Margie,

Thank you for sharing so much with all of us. Like so many others, I have been incredibly blessed to read your blog and am praying for you and the children...

Tara

Anonymous said...

I don't think we ever met, but my husband attended at Rez years ago, and I studied at Wheaton, so I knew John from the library. As I have been processing a loss of my own, I have found you to be a speaker of truth (when so many tend to skirt it or speak in spiritual-sounding cliches) and a guide on the journey -- albeit one who is quite a few steps ahead. I ache for your loss. If it is a healing, good thing for you to post, as frequently or infrequently as you wish, you have an apt listener here (and in so many others, obviously).

The God of all comfort be with you and your children.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Margie,
You say that you can't imagine anyone but your mother being interested in reading what you will write.
But please realize that we who have read your postings,fasted and prayed,laughed often and wept often have truly become your sisters, brothers, fathers and mothers in Christ.
Thank you for letting us continue to be part of your life. You and the children remain in my daily prayers.
Blessings and love, Dore'

cacbullard said...

Margie,
You don't know me, but I was your mom's next door neighbor when we were kids in Virginia. Mary Jane shared your blog with me back in May and I was truly blessed. We have a good friend who is suffering with brain cancer, too. I am so sorry for your loss. He sounded like a wonderful man who will be so missed by his family and friends. May our Lord bless you and keep you strong as you go through the grieving process. Also, give Mary Jane my love.
Carolyn Cordle Bullard (Yorba Linda, CA)

Anonymous said...

Dearest Margie,
Write what you can, when you can and only how much you can.
Your brothers and sisters around the world are holding you, Charlotte and Josiah up to His everlasting arms. We've missed you..

It's so good to have you back.
um beijo
Sandra Fatio
Brazil

Kimberly said...

This is only my 2nd time to visit your blog, but your sharing is a blessing. And has made me want to love more and live more authentically on my own difficult journey. So sorry for your great loss.

Kirsten said...

Dear Margie:
So glad to hear your 'voice' once again. I am reading and praying along with many others. When you began this blog, you made a header with the psalm verse out of your desire to be fruitful and full of life. I see that desire blossoming into reality when I read your words, when I see you at church, worshipping in and through pain. I believe you have become that fruitful vine you desired to be over a year ago now, because you are being faithful to our Lord and His ways. No matter what happens with this blog, know that you are that fruitful vine. Thank you for leading so many of us into being fruitful as well by watching your example. May our Savior continue to tend your soul as the only true Gardener can.
Blessings,
Kirsten