Isaiah 58: 11

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.





Monday, July 28, 2008

Writer's Block

I have something of a writer's block with The Fruitful Vine. My energies are so directed toward grieving and surviving, I have very little for writing. I think of things I would like to write about, but the idea of sitting down and hammering it out, reading it over, editing the mistakes... ugh. It wears me out just thinking about it.

So here is what I have decided. If you want to read The Fruitful Vine, I ask for some grace for mistakes. I am going to opt for the JUST GET IT OUT THERE mode for a while. I will try to write more frequently, shorter posts with virtually no editing. That's how my life is now anyway. Short bursts of energy, unedited. My soul is so busy with the business of life I have trouble writing a grocery list, much less a blog.

So here goes:




Its nine weeks today since John died. I have trouble believing it. My days are obviously empty of his presence, but in the back of my mind I think he'll walk in the door at any minute. Very frequently I think, "I should call John and tell him..."


I found a good book to read with the children. We read Tear Soup everyday. It has been a gift to all of us. Its a picture book that talks about a lady called Grandy who has suffered a loss. Because the loss is not named, it can become many things for many people. This book is a gentle story of a person in mourning. It has given each of us permission to grieve in our own way. I relate to the illustrations that show Grandy's grief taking so much of her attention that clutter piles up and plants die.






Here are a few quotes from Charlotte this week.

Walking through a parking lot we move quickly to avoid an oncoming car. "Come on Mom, we don't want you to die, too." After Charlotte brought up the idea, I told her that we hope and pray I will live to see her grow up and have her own children. I also told her that Daddy and I had talked about what would happen if we both died. Now she knows what our plans are and how she will be cared for in the event of such a tragedy.

While driving in the car, "I have to wait 30 years before I see Daddy again."

"Daddy was such a sweet man. He gave me whatever I wanted." (I'll wait a while before bursting this fantasy- not the sweet part)

Before falling asleep, "I have been thinking. Pooh had problems in his life. He got over them. That's what I need to do. Get over it."

I know that stories are profoundly important for children. My sister-in-law Katherine and I have put our heads together about gathering good literature to read to the kids. I want wonderful stories about honorable men who fulfill all kinds of vocations including being great husbands and fathers.

Never in a million years did I expect Winnie the Pooh to be the first character to take center stage. Thankfully I read the Pooh stories to Charlotte, so I knew what she was talking about. Her ponderings over Pooh led to a discussion about what kind of problems Pooh had and how he handled them. "What did Pooh do when he got into trouble? He went to Owl, to someone he thought was wise who could help him. Together the group of friends went off to find Christopher Robin." Unfortunately our conversation had to end with, "Ya know, Pooh's problem turned out to be a misunderstanding. Christopher Robin's note said he went to school, not to skull, like owl said. Your problem is real. Your Daddy is dead. But I think we will work through this problem like Pooh did. We go for help when we need it and have lots of friends that want to come with us on the journey."

Speaking of children's literature, did you know that the loss of a parent is a major theme in children's literature?? I had forgotten Babar, the wonderful elephant, lost his mother. As we read it yesterday both kids were glued to the story and studying the illustrations of Babar sitting on the dead body of his mother with tears pouring out of his eyes. Babar sees his mother get shot and killed by a "wicked hunter." I heard Charlotte telling a neighbor this story while they were playing ball. Other characters who lose a parent include:


Heidi
Anne of Greene Gables
Bambi
Balto
Annie
Babar
Cinderella
Snow White
Oliver Twist
Nicholas Nickelby
Pippi Longstocking
Harry Potter
Superman
Batman

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Margie,

Know that Anna and I are praying for you and growing as we cry through your posts. Your "unedited" life is helpful to us as we pray for you.

Love in Christ,

Greg and Anna Smith
(PS - We have Sam and Annie Dominguez in our congregation and you are mentioned by one of the four of us each and every week during the prayers of the people)

Jeni said...

Margie,
Writing in a stream of consciousness is the only way I have found to write these days. When you suffer a loss there are so many large issues to think and consentrate on....for me the largest is my children. For you as well. Editing is a small issue. Your willingness to be open and honest is a blessing to all of us who have ever suffered a loss. Thank you.

Annie said...

Margie,

I expected an obviously unedited, thrown-together post after your warning about writer's block. But it wasn't that way at all; your words were just full of wisdom, insight, and honesty, expressed in your very clear and readable style. Thank you for continuing to write, when you can and how you can. Phil and I continue to pray for you all.

Annie Reed

Anonymous said...

Margie,

Thanks for abdicating perfectionism in honor of continued sharing! WOOOO HOOOOO!

I must try to think of more literary heroes and heroines who have lost a parent.

May words and The Word continue to minister to you and the kids.

Love,

Sal

P.S. (Couldn't sleep last night . . . images of marble swimming in my head!)

Anonymous said...

Get it out however you can, and know that we on this side will recieve it with prayers and joy--knowing that God is good and his faithfulness endures forever. We love you. Kate Zwiefelhofer

Gidge Uriza said...

Margie.......your little girl looks so much like you, she's precious.

And write when you are moved to do so. I used to feel compelled to produce and then it became work and I stopped loving it. :)

Write when you are moved......and it will always come from the heart.

Anonymous said...

Dear Margie,

The Velveteen Rabbit is also a story about loss. It brought out an intense grief reaction from my son (I think it was over his adoption but he was not able to verbalize that at age 3 or 4).

Re. books about dads, Guess How Much I Love You has a daddy rabbit expressing love for his child. It is sure to bring on the tears.

Bless you, Laurie Horton

Anonymous said...

your writing is beautiful and timely in all ways it's manifested.

the picture of you and John's hands was moving. when was that taken?

blessings on you,
julie mac

Anonymous said...

Duder
And you called that the "unedited" version of your writing??? Wow, sounded beautiful to me. What a precious (and sad) process to see how the children are also mourning this loss. We all do it in our own ways.

By the way, Spiderman also lost both of his parents (through death, I think) and then his uncle also was killed--which is what spurned him on to become a superhero ("with great power comes great responsibility" or something like that was his uncle's parting words to him....)

We love you.

Smith said...

And don't forget Simba, The Lion King. I cry every time I watch that scene.

Kimberly said...

"Finding Neverland" also explores childhood grief and loss. I so appreciate your honest words...praying God's strength for your family.

At A Hen's Pace said...

Margie--

A good book for YOU might be Stepping Heavenward (Elizabeth Prentiss)--an early Victorian era diary (fictional but semi-autographical) about a teen girl who marries, has a family and continues into maturity. Along the way she loses a child, a brother and others close to her. It's a classic to many.

This book, more than any I've read, helped me accept that death is part of life--in a way that previous generations understood better than we do, living in the age of modern medicine. There are other great things in its pages too.

Blessings from all of us--

Jeanne