3-4 months ago:
"May I speak to John please?"
"I'm sorry, he's not available."
"I'll try back."
"OK."
-------------------------------------
Since then I've decided to tell people John died. At first I didn't want callers to be uncomfortable or awkward with the news. But the fact is, I'm the one who is uncomfortable because they CONTINUE calling.
"May I speak to John please?"
"He's not available right now."
"Is there a better time to reach him?"
"Not really."
"I'll try back another time."
"You are not ever going to be able to reach him. He died."
"He died? What happened?"
"He died of cancer."
"Oh man. I'll take him off the list."
"Thanks."
------------------------------------------------
"This is Illinois Right to Life. May I speak with John Fawcett?"
"I'm sorry, he died."
"He died? I'm so sorry. I'll take his name and yours off of our list."
"Thank you very much."
----------------------------------------------
Tuesday: Caller ID Chicago (224) 425-5200
"Yeah, uh, is John there?"
"No, he's not. He died."
"He's dead? Oh... I find that hard to believe."
"Sir? You find that hard to believe? My husband died of cancer in May."
"OK."
Isaiah 58: 11
The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs
in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.
in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your bones.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose
waters never fail.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Dearest Margie,
These people can be very annoying. I do pray that you will be able stop them in their tracks and hopefully stop them from calling.
I wonder what John would say to them..he seemed to have a wonderful sense of humor..you too!
I know it's painful for you but keep telling them the "truth" and maybe some light can be shed at the same time.
If that doesn't work...tell them you know an Italian woman who will set them straight! :o)
much love and blessings,
um beijo
Sandra Fatio
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm sorry you still have to deal with the ignorant jerks of this world, Margie. FWIW, I googled the phone number and it's on many lists for harrassing calls :(
This incident, unfortunately, brings home the point, that life goes on. Even in the midst of grief, everyone else is just "doing their thing". And for some, "their thing", is being a moron.
Please know, though, that all of us who love you, and John, and Charlotte and Josiah, are loving you and lifting you up in prayer, while doing 'our' things. I imagine that without even planning it out, there are prayers being offered for you pretty much 24/7 (I've got 3am covered :). I hope you feel that love, and the light of Christ, coming to you from all over the world, at all times.
Un. Be. Liev. Able. I'm so sorry, Margie.
Taryn
Hi, Margie.
I shook my head in disbelief as I read this.
There is a number you can call to have your number blocked from telemarketers -- I know that much, but don't know what the number actually is.
You might want to try and "google" the information and see if you can locate it. I used it over a year ago and successfully blocked incoming calls from telemarketers.
It's the National Do Not Call List -- s/thing like that.
?
Best,
Debbie
Margie, here's the website for the service that Debbie Pope mentioned in her post - it's the National Do Not Call Registry: https://www.donotcall.gov
You can register your number online and be done with it. I did this ages ago, and I only get sales calls now from companies I actually do business with. Also, I rely completely on Caller ID. If I don't know the number, I don't answer and let them leave a message on voicemail. But that might not work for you.
My last suggestion is if you are with AT&T for your home service, when I used to be with them, I used a service called Privacy Manager, which blocked all calls that came from unlisted numbers. My phone would never even ring unless they were willing to leave a message explaining who they were. If so, my phone would ring, I'd hear the message, and then I could choose to answer it or reject it. And I could set a PIN to give to anyone who calls me from unlisted numbers. It did cost about $5/month then, and might be more now, so it might be prohibitive. But especially now, I'd love to see you spared the extra stress and insensitivity those calls can bring.
This morning at the Bible Study, your mom said that today is the anniversary of you and John and his birthday is a week from today as well. I'm so sorry that you have these deeply painful milestones that bring such grief. Know that we ladies in the study are praying for you, and I'm sure others are as well. Feel free to email the Rez prayer chain as well, as our church family would want to pray for you especially much on these hard days. Take care of yourself, my dear, and remember how many love you and are praying for you. ~Bonita
Hi Margie,
I was doing my Bible study the other day, and God placed you on my heart, so I wrote a note to you. The only problem is that I don't have your address. Could you send it to me at innkeepers@southernporches.com Thanks, and know that we are lifting up your family in love and prayer. Kelly Milligan
Post a Comment