I hardly know how to put into words the events of the last few days. My apologies in advance if my boundaries about the private vs the public are a little foggy here. I know there is a difference between what goes on between two people privately and what should be public information. At the same time, I want to share this part of the journey. So, I don't know if I want to put this on my blog because it is the most important thing to me right now, or because of sheer exhaustion, or because it is from the Lord. So, whichever thing or things it happens to be, may the Lord be glorified.
Last night after the prayer and worship John and I talked through what would happen today. We are scheduled to go for IV fluids every M-W-F. We needed to decide if his journey at this time meant that we would choose no longer to go for fluids, seeing as the fluids prolong his life. I have told John many times that I would support him in whatever he chooses. If he wants to go for fluids, great. If he wants to say, "I'm done with the fluids," I'd support him in that, too. We talked again about how the fluids are prolonging his life by flushing the calcium and keeping him hydrated.
He said, "Then I think I should not go any longer."
I said, "OK. So, you are saying that you have heard the Lord call you to come home and you want to stay at home without further treatment."
John said"Yes, I think so. Death seems to be at work."
October 2000, until we are parted by death.
Margie: "Then I want you to hold my hands and say good-bye. I want you to say, 'You've been a good wife, Margie. I'll see you in heaven.' "
I felt I needed to press into this point for some reason.
John said basically that to me.
Then I said, "So, you have said good-bye to me. Is there anyone else you need to say good-bye to? (no) Are you good with the Lord? (yes) OK, then you are free to get into your bed now and die.
Then he said maybe he should go for fluids. "Ahhhhh," I am screaming in my head. "Stop the madness! Make a decision!"
I know when I start shouting in my head that I am not in a place of really listening to the Lord and following His way. I just want resolution and I want it now.
I said, "John, we have got to pray. I am very frustrated. We need the Lord's direction." (Translation, I'm about to throw you out the window. Lord help me.)
For me, this prayer was critical to the submission of my own soul before the Lord. We held hands while I prayed, "Oh Lord, we love you. Help us. Please forgive me for my impatience. Forgive me for my frustration, anger, selfishness, lack of love. We want to follow You. We want to make the righteous decision. If you are asking us to stay at home and let the disease take its course, if this is Your way, we will do it. If you are asking us to continue to go for treatments and "fight" to the bitter end, if this is Your way, we will do it. We need to hear from You this night. We must know in the morning.
After the prayer John held my hands and told me what a wonderful woman I am. Then said, "Margie, you have not accepted all of the sinners that you need to. You have not received the ...."
Me: "Are you saying there is a sin I need to confess?"
John: "No, you have not accepted... you have not received... all of the sinners that you need to accept."
Me: (Don't ask me how I figured this out from his words, honestly I have no idea.) "Are you saying that I need to have another baby?"
John: "Yes. Yes."
Margie: "Are you saying that I am going to have another child?"
John: "Yes, that's right."
Margie: "Well, John, you know I'm good with that. You know that we bought three baptismal candles in Oxford before Charlotte was born. If you are healed, we will have another baby."
Can I give an editorial "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh" here? Can my mind, heart, body, soul be any more thrown between extremes?
When I woke up at 7 this morning, John was not in the room. I went upstairs around 7:45 and John's Mother said, "Have you talked to John this morning?" "No," I said. Mary, John's Mom said, "Well, John knocked on our door at 6:30 this morning and asked us what he needed to do to get ready to go for treatment. He said that the Lord had spoken to him and that he was to go for treatment."
Unbelievable. Before we left for the Cancer Center, John asked forgiveness of both children. He said something like, "Charlotte, Josiah, please forgive me. I said good-bye too soon."
As we drove to treatment this morning I asked John how the Lord had communicated to him in the night. He said, "I assumed that because there was an open door (to death) that the Lord was there. But the Lord was not in the open door. The Lord said, "I will take you when I need you." I told the Lord how hard this is and how much pain there is, but I did not insist on my way."
Me: "You mean you submitted to the Lord?"
John: "Yes."
Me: "Praise the Lord, John. You have chosen to obey the Lord to your own hurt. Now if you die, we will all know it was in the right way and the right time."
John: "Yes, it was not right for me to choose to die or try to expedite the process. I must be released by the Lord, there is not yet freedom for me to die."
I cannot tell you the joy it brings to my heart to see John coming to this place of submission and peace. I would have supported his decision to end treatment, but it just seemed like he wanted to "get it over with". (Not that I would blame him for this feeling, either, my word, this is a long, arduous process for all of us!)
If John is going to die, I do not want to see him die exercising the worst parts of his character. I want to see him die in the goodness of the best parts of his character: perseverance, acceptance and surrender of suffering, integrity, faith, hope, perseverance, etc.
I do not know what the Lord is going to do here, but I'd say pretty much the sky's the limit. The Light of God can break in at any minute in any situation. We cannot control the outcome, we can only submit to Him. He knows and loves us in our most broken, desperate places. Even if John would have stepped through the open door of death this weekend, the Lord would have received him with open arms. But, oh the joy of know that John is choosing to let God call him to himself instead of expediting the process outside of the Lord's way. (I hope you know that I am not making a statement about how anyone else should deal with end of life issues. The Lord speaks a unique and personal word to each of us. Two days from now, the Lord's word to John might be, "Come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest." We want to simply obey what the Lord is asking of us today.)
Keep us in your prayers, friends. Pray that the Lord's purposes for John will be accomplished.
John holding Josiah a few minutes after his birth.
32 comments:
Margie,
I have often thought of that 3rd candle when I pray for you and wondered...hoped for it's future. Lord let me not speak a false word of hope but may we rejoice in the potential for the future hope of lighting that last candle and all that it stands for. May the Light of the world scatter the darkness from your path and cast not a shadow of death but reveal the glory of new life. With love and prayers, Tammy
Dear Margie...
We stand by you in prayer, ready for whatever ride Father intends. Father keeps bringing you all to mind again and again, and we mingle our prayers with Jesus' who ever lives to make intercession for us.
Those seeds you planted? If we believe, though we die, yet we live. Believing with you....
Words fail to suffice... know our love embraces. (((Margie)))
All's grace,
Ann
Beautiful. Praise the Lord.
Mario
Margie, you are a divinely inspired wife (and counselor) being given exactly what John needs from you to make the Godly decisions you BOTH want of him in this deeply complex time. Bless you both!
Mark Mc.
Margie--we are praying and praying and crying with you--Steve and I shed tears yesterday and today reading your posts, but now I just read your latest post and burst into singing the song, "I'm trading my sorrows, I'm trading my pain, I'm trading it all for the joy of the Lord...and we say, Yes Lord, Yes, Lord Yes, Yes Lord!" We are saying YES with you and with John that you will continue in His will until that last final moment when he calls John home. I love that Eugene Petersen in the Message translates Amen as YES! We say YES Lord! Thank you Lord for teaching me through Margie and John's great sacrifice of Yes to say yes in my life today!
all our love and prayers (in Fort Collins CO, by the way),
Sarah Hoskins, for the 5.5 of us
Margie, thanks so much for sharing these conversations. I'm overjoyed to hear that there is still time and still hope. I confess that every time I see a new blog entry since Saturday night, I'm relieved to hear news, but I also cringe and brace myself for what the news might be. I'll continue praying fervently for John's complete healing and restoration - and for child #3!
As I read today's devotional reading from Streams in the Desert, I thought of you and the difficult road you're walking. I'll paste it below - it's from the modern version. If you don't have this book, I'd love to give you an extra copy. May you be blessed and encouraged by these words.
He knows the way that I take.
Job 23:10
O believer, what a glorious assurance this verse is! What confidence I have because “the way that I take”—this way of trials and tears, however winding, hidden, or tangled—“He knows”! When the “furnace [is] heated seven times hotter than usual” (Da 3:19), I can know He still lights my way. There is an almighty Guide who knows and directs my steps, whether they lead to the bitter water at the well of Marah or to the joy and refreshment of the oasis at Elim (see Ex 15:23,27).
The way is dark to the Egyptians yet has its own pillar of cloud and fire for God's Israel. The furnace may be hot, but not only can I trust the hand that lights the fire, I can also have the assurance the fire will not consume but only refine. And when the refining process is complete, not a moment too soon or too late, “I will come forth as gold” (Job 23:10).
When I feel God is the farthest away, He is often the nearest to me. “When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who know my way” (Ps 142:3). Do we know of another who shines brighter than the most radiant sunlight, who meets us in our room with the first waking light, who has an infinitely tender and compassionate watchfulness over us throughout our day, and who “knows the way that [we] take”?
The world, during a time of adversity, speaks of “providence” with a total lack of understanding. They dethrone God, who is the living, guiding Sovereign of the universe, to some inanimate, dead abstraction. What they call “providence” they see as occurrences of fate, reducing God from His position as our acting, powerful, and personal Jehovah.
The pain would be removed from many an agonizing trial if only I could see what Job saw during his time of severe affliction, when all earthly hope lay dashed at his feet. He saw nothing but the hand of God—God's hand behind the swords of the Sabeans who attacked his servants and cattle, and behind the devastating lightning; God's hand giving wings to the mighty desert winds, which swept away his children; and God's hand in the dreadful silence of his shattered home.
Thus, seeing God in everything, Job could say, “The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised” (Job 1:21). Yet his faith reached its zenith when this once-powerful prince of the desert “sat among the ashes” (Job 2:8) and still could say, “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him” (Job 13:15). J. R. Macduff
John and Margie,
I stand in awe of how the Lord has strengthened you and how his Spirit is at work within you during this time of struggle. I praise God for the opportunity to be watch you all model Christian humility, discipline, and character. Your expressions of faith and submission are testimonies to a deep relationship with God that is enviable--in all all the best ways.
Blessings and strength to you.
David
Praise the Lord! His mercies endure forever!
Taryn
Wow! What can one say, besides.....wow! I have never known anyone like John, and the way he listens to God. It is a lesson for us all...... Wow!
John Walford
Dear Margie,
Saturday evening, night and all morning yesterday, I felt such heaviness and sadness for you and the children, and I prayed countless times, on my own, in the ministry group at church, with my friends, that God would surround you all with His love. I felt such a burden. Then in the afternoon, God gave me such a peace - I didn't understand. It was as if He was saying "I really do have them in my hands. I am going to continue to use them for my glory."
What rejoicing to read this today -- and again and again I am humbled and encouraged by your faith. Do you know what a blessing you are - not that I would wish this struggle on you and John and your family -- but your faith and trust in God, and your willingness to share the battles of that faith are such a brilliant light?
We continue to pray and lift you all up before God.
Much love,
Marilyn
WOO-HOOOooooo!!!!
Our seatbelts are buckled and drawn up tight...
Praise the Lord!!!
~Jeanne
Praise God!
Sheila and I continue to pray for resurrection life!
John and Margie,
As God brings you to mind, you are in my prayers—at least once daily.
May our God who is near grant you courage.
Jeremy Funk
When the names John and Margie Fawcett come to mind, so do the words Hope, Light, and Life. Your ministries, your love, your family, your journey. Thank you for your intimate sharing. Beautiful. God, the amazing author. Your story, His story. Thank you for your surrender. Thank John for his. Holy Ground. The Lord is near. Praying, Rachel Newsom
We love you guys and pray for you everyday. Your blogs are such an encouragement Margie, they really are. Give Aunt Mary and Uncle Bill a HUGE hug from me!*
Love,
Carrie Rollins (Meacham)
I am one of the anonymous many who read your blog often, to witness the lives of His faithful, to know how to pray for you. I'm a student, and John provided guidance for me and a friend during a very hard time a year and a half ago or so. I will forever be grateful. There are really no words.
I carry you in my heart and in my prayers.
Natasha
Appreciate your willingness to be transparent in such a time as this.
Really, many who suffer along the same lines, will be thankful to hear your words, your fears, your convictions... and the thought that God's timing is perfect timing, and that you are willing to let HIM decide, all the way to the last breath, is the crux of committed Christian living. I congratulate you both and thank you for the example you are setting.
jocelyne...
the truthbyter
Margie,
Thanks for the honest, gracious ways you've shared your story! Loving you, John, Charlotte & Josiah!
Hoping, waiting and praying with all of you.
Your entry, particularly this quote,
"You know, John, that we bought three baptismal candles in Oxford before Charlotte was born. If you are healed, we will have another baby . . . "
inspired the following poem, my gift to you and yours:
THREE BAPTISMAL CANDLES
Two candles lit and
Relit on birthdays
Their flames
Alive - ebullient - seeming as if they’ll
Fly like Her windy
Warming, unwieldy ways
Laughing, flickering
Full of Warmth and Life and Promise
Promises made
And promises given
The third candle waits
White waxy virgin wick believing
Light and Life will come
Emblazoning, scorching, bringing ash
With sudden intense heat
Like His injury and healing
Coming after cool
Wet, waters of purifying Promise
Promises glowing
And Flickering: Hope
Hoping in God with you,
Sal
margie,
what a beautiful and breathtaking story of love for John and your kids. you are walking in the light of God's never ending grace!
i love it that ya'll have three baptismal candles. hoping and waiting for that third one to be lit.
love,
julie mac
Margie,
You are so beautiful..as a bride..a wife and a mother. When I read about Charlotte's sweet tender heart and her box for John and Josiah not quite understanding John's blessing..I started praying for them. I prayed that John's eye would open to them, to see them..really see them and that God would help him fight.
Thank you Lord, for seeing better than we. Thank you for these precious children, for Margie's love, devotion and support. Thank you Lord for John and for speaking to him. Thank you Lord, Thank you Lord, Thank you Lord! All the glory to You!
Um beijo
Sandra Fatio
São Paulo, Brazil
Dear Margie,
I am so amazed and humbled by your openness and sharing throughout this blog, but especially in this entry. And not only that, but your incredible humor in the midst of such difficulty. I always come away from reading your blog either laughing or crying or both. I know I'm echoing many others in saying how touched and honored I feel to be following your journey and praying for you, John, Charlotte, and Josiah every day. I don't know you well, but God has so inspired and challenged me with your journey and faithfulness. Thank you for sharing and for being faithful even when it's hard.
Annie (Erhardt) Reed
John, as you choose obedience you are choosing the best over the good. Most of us do not have our eyes or ears open enough even to see or hear the Lord sometimes. Stay close to him.
Margie, your love and faithfulness to John and to Jesus and to Charlotte and Josiah is wonderful to see, but perhaps not always easy to do. You are amazing.
We love you all. -Randy & Kay
Margie:
This past weekend, when I read your two previous blogs, my heart was so heavy that I picked up the phone and called my good friend Marilyn (Brenner), and we cried and prayed together for you and John and all the family.
Then Monday morning, I checked in and read your latest blog, and as many people have commented, I, too, laughed AND cried through this one.
I think of ya'll so often throughout each day, and every time I do, I pray. Walking across the campus of SPU yesterday, on my way to class, with the Seattle sky for once clear, the sun shining, flowers blooming, I prayed for you and John with each step. I will not stop.
Thank you for having the courage and energy to continue blogging. So many of us check in daily with prayer, love, and support.
My best,
Debbie Pope
Dear John and Margie,
In the night on Sunday , middle of he night i awoke and started singing that beautiful song John played at PCM for so many years. The song from the Father and His love for us Come.. My child how I love you.. hmmm .. hmm. I'm humming it now. I thought the Lord was taking John home. BUt it seems not without these last gifts of love and trust that matter the absolute MOST because of the sacrifice of suffering they take.
WE get to give back so little..
Relinquishment and giving up are not the same thing , it seems. Your decision to follow so nearly is precious to all who hear of it.
Thank you dear ones for sharing your journey and your choices and decisions.
Much love in Jesus,
Kathy R,
Margie and John,
You can't know what a witness your honest sharing of your struggles is to so many of us. I pray God will continue to help you stay on the path He has chosen, for grace and mercy, and for clarity to hear from the Lord what your next steps should be, hour by hour, day by day. Thank you for letting us walk with you. I am amazed by what God has done, and continues to do. All thanks and praise to our Father.
Patti Mangis
Dear Margie,
Sometimes I feel like an idiot praying these far out prayers, but I know I'm supposed to keep praying:
I rebuke cancer in Jesus' name! Lord Jesus please let this be the day that John's healing starts in earnest, for your own glory's sake, and out of love for all of us. Lord have mercy! Amen!
Laurie Horton
i asked God yesterday "how do you pray for something that you don't believe can happen" and He simply said, "ask me what i believe."
I am so eager and hungry to see the Lord's hand as He continues to weave out your lives through this time. You are in our hearts constantly!
Jonathan & Kelly Fugate
margie,
the story of love for john and the kids is beautiful and breathtaking.
thank you Lord for the third baptismal candle. we wait and hope for it to be lit.
love,
julie mac
Dearest Margie,
Both you and John are on my mind and in my prayers throughout my days. You and John have blessed our family immensely. Our daughter Isabella had told me that God had given her her first answer to prayer through John. It was when John was released from the hospital over Easter. She believes so firmly that God had answered her specifically. All of a sudden her prayer world became alive! She still praises God for that miracle. Daily Bella asks God for John's complete healing and for his ability to Jump, Run and Dance. I pray that God will keep John here and use him to strengthen the faith of others as he has done for our family.
All Glory and Honor be to God in the Highest!
Sending our love and prayers,
The Bann family
Dearest Margie,
Both you and John are on my mind and in my prayers throughout my days. You and John have blessed our family immensely. Our daughter Isabella had told me that God had given her her first answer to prayer through John. It was when John was released from the hospital over Easter. She believes so firmly that God had answered her specifically. All of a sudden her prayer world became alive! She still praises God for that miracle. Daily Bella asks God for John's complete healing and for his ability to Jump, Run and Dance. I pray that God will keep John here and use him to strengthen the faith of others as he has done for our family.
All Glory and Honor be to God in the Highest!
Sending our love and prayers,
The Bann family
Margie. Well, certainly I was blessed by this post here. Thanks for risking the "too personal;" I feel touched and inspired by your words- these events. May God bring you and John to a place of true abundance. When all else fails-heart and lung, body and mind, soul and spirit-may God, Jesus Christ, our Lord, THE ONE GOD, bring you both into a fertile land. May he lead you "beside still waters"- feed you by his body and blood, his one true life.
Thank you for your obedience, Margie and John. As you move forward, here, I pray a miracle on your behalf. That God work the impossible in both your lives. How that looks, I do not know, but I pray it be fruitful and blessed. The Lord bless you both.
Adam
Post a Comment